ORBEM
Outside Studios
In this section: The Paris | The Playhouse | Piccadilly
The Camden | The Hippodrome | RAH | Home Page

The Paris, Lower Regent Street

Entrance
The entrance, date unknown
Narrator's studio
The narrator's studio, 1955
Engineer's cubicle
The recording channel, date unknown
The Paris was originally a small cinema, situated on the eastern side of Lower Regent Street just north of Charles II Street.

The entrance, with a commissionaireís desk, led to a broad carpeted staircase down to the Lower Ground Level corridor which gave access to the studio and a suite of rooms including a Narratorís Studio. The stage was on the same level, a few inches above the lowest level from where the auditorium sloped up towards the rear where the Control Cubicle (on the left) and Recording Channel (on right) were sited.

The stage had sets of curtains, including two pairs at each side enclosing small areas. The one at stage right was used to hide the Spot Effects SM during Variety (Light Ent.) shows, and was also used to some effect to screen Ringo Starr and his drumkit during a Beatles session in 1963, with a C12 hanging from the wheeled tripod microphone stand poking through the gap to pick up Ringoís questionably adequate singing.

In addition to the Beatles many other performers and groups were recorded here and the studio was regularly used for comedy programmes.

The Paris was closed in 1995 when the Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House (previously the Concert Hall) became available.
The Paris Cubicle
The Type A Desk in the cubicle with the stage beyond. Date unknown.



If you have memories or photos of this studio which could be added to this page please get in touch using the 'Contact' link below.